Creating jobs within your classroom gives your students responsibility and allows them to generalize skills previously taught.
In my last blog (click here to view), I shared my weekly life skills lesson plan, and in that plan, I incorporated vocational jobs as part of our Friday lesson. Students would complete 3-4 vocational jobs each week, and we would rotate through the jobs each week.
Below, I have created a list of vocational jobs I had set up in my classroom.
- Have different sizes of towels for students to fold.
- Create two baskets for students to separate colors and whites.
- Students use a folding t-shirt board to fold t-shirts easily.
Hang up clothes
- Put t-shirts, pants, dresses, etc., in a laundry basket and have students hang the items on a clothing rack.
Put away laundry (dresser drawers)
- Students put t-shirts, towels, and socks away into the drawers using three-drawer plastic storage.
- Vending snacks/drinks
- Seed packets
- Grocery Items
- Library Books
- Gift Cards
- Utility bills
- Paper (by color)
- Cards by dates
- Letter cards
- Word Cards
- Cards with last names
- Shred paper
- Crimp paper
- Crush Pop Cans
- Sort mail
- Find grocery items from list (2 levels)
- Use a list to find grocery items and determine the next dollar amount (2 levels)