The Autism Helper Membership Year 1
Year 1 Membership Objectives
- Describe the importance of staff training and list several ways to incorporate regular staff training time into
the school day.
- Identify the steps for Behavior Skills Training and describe how to utilize Behavior Skills Training with paraprofessionals to
teach running classroom stations and preparing classroom materials.
- List several types of student schedules and identify the process for selecting an appropriate schedule type for students.
- Describe how to create, teach, and maintain a classroom-based independent work system.
- Define reinforcement and pairing. Define and identify the difference between bribery and reinforcement. Identify the
steps for pairing.
- List receptive language challenges and why visuals could be beneficial during both academic and non-academic periods.
- List reasons why a token economy can be effective and what factors contribute to the success or lack of success of a token economy.
- Identify and define the functions of behavior and steps to determine the function of a behavior utilizing ABC data.
- Identify and define learning channels and how to pinpoint behaviors.
- Define discrete trial training and identify the steps for utilizing it.
- List procedures for training staff to collect frequency data using the Behavior Skills Training Model.
- List ways to utilize visuals for improving academic performance.
- List 5 strategies for effective group instruction.
- Define replacement behaviors, how to teach them, including the Phase 1/Phase 2 process.
- Explain why fading prompts is important. List and describe a variety of methods for fading prompts including time delay.
- Define and describe fluency instruction. Create a plan for classroom based fluency instruction, including selection of goals, mastery criteria, and data collection procedures.
- List the steps to write a function-based behavior plan including critical components.
- List strategies to improve staff buy-in for classroom-based procedures.
- List proactive, reactive, and environmental strategies to reduce problem behaviors.
- Identify procedures for training staff to implement behavior plans using the Behavior Skills Training Model.
- List ways to add structure into areas of the day that occur outside of the classroom (gym, cafeteria, specials classes, etc.).
- Define the SMART IEP goal acronym and explain each step to creating a goal using this process.
- Plan and develop a meaningful end of the year survey for staff including an action plan with results.
- List types of student schedules and qualifications for changing schedule types for individual students.
- Define generalization and list multiple strategies for embedding and promoting generalization into instruction.
- Create a thorough crisis plan and identify steps to train staff to follow the plan.
- List options for organization systems for paperwork, material preparation, and material storage.
- Create a plan for establishing beginning of the year present levels of performance.
- Create a baseline behavior data sheet.
Year 1 Membership Agenda
**When you join the Membership in January, your immediate access will include all content from September-January.** Content for the rest of the Membership is released monthly.
September (69 minutes)
- Team Mission Statement
- Successful Classroom: Small Group and Structured
- Individual Student Schedules
- Independent Work Systems
- Reinforcement and Pairing 101
- Communication for All
October (94 minutes)
- How to Create Training Time
- Using Membership Videos as a Training Tool
- Often Overlooked Aspects of Classroom Visuals
- Classroom Teaching Plan
- How to Talk With and About Your Students
- Token Economy
- Start the Day with a Win: Morning Meeting and Circle Time
November (76 minutes)
- Behavior Skills Training
- Mini Schedules
- Organizing and Running a Direct Instruction Center
- Functions of Behavior
- How We Cause Problem Behavior
- Social Language Instruction in Virtual Learning
December (60 minutes)
- Having Paraprofessionals Run Centers
- Resource Preparation Center
- Visuals for Behavior
- Taking Frequency Data While You Teach
- Taking and Analyzing ABC Data
January (65 minutes)
- Teaching Staff to Take Data (Part 1)
- Visuals for Academics
- 5 Strategies for Group Instruction
- Replacement Behaviors
February (75 minutes)
- Teaching Staff to Take Data (Part 2)
- Fading Prompts (Part 1)
- Fluency Instruction (Part 1)
- Using a Fluency Baseline Assessment
- Writing a Function-Based Behavior Intervention Plan
March (51 minutes)
- Increasing Staff Buy-In
- Fading Prompts (Part 2)
- Planned Schedule Changes
- Fluency Instruction (Part 2)
- Proactive Behavior Strategies and Environmental Strategies
April (65 minutes)
- Training Staff on Behavior Plans
- Adding Structure Outside the Classroom
- SMART IEP Goals
- Reactive Behavior Strategies
May (36 minutes)
- Exit Interview
- Upgrading Schedules at End of Year
- Goal Generalization Strategies
- Crisis Plans