When it comes to writing IEP goals or other goals we have for our learners, they always need to be individualized. While that is true, my team and I have always found that having a goal bank or a few ideas of different goals help get our minds thinking and writing. It has helped me to have ideas to refer to, especially in the height of IEP writing! While we always use our data from progress monitoring and assessments to see where our learner is and where they need to go, having a bank gives us a starting point. Play is an important part of development. In this post, I am going to share examples of play and social goals for our learners without changing who they are or trying to change their interests.
- ______ will independently engage with a toy or item which will be observed by picking it up and using it in some way in 9 out of 10 opportunities, across 3 sessions.
- ______ will independently engage with a toy or item which will be observed by picking it up and using it in some way in 9 out of 10 opportunities, across 3 different areas or settings.
- ______ will engage in parallel play with a peer playing with the same toys with less than 2 maladaptive behaviors across 3 consecutive days.
- ______ will independently assemble a toy such as stacking cups with 90% accuracy, across 3 out of 3 days.
- ______ will assemble a toy that requires putting in (such as putting animals in a toy farm) with 90% independence, across 3 out of 3 days.
- ______ will independently imitate 2 actions with a doll or action figure during pretend play (e.g. have a doll ride in a car or an action figure climb a structure), in 4 out of 5 opportunities across 3 consecutive days..
- ______ will take 2 turns with a peer during a structured play setting with less than 2 prompts to pass the item back across 3 consecutive days.
- _______ will ask for a missing item during a play setting with no more than one prompt across 4 consecutive sessions.
- ______ will engage in pretend role play with an adult with no more than 2 prompts to stay on task with 90% accuracy.