The Roadmap to Reading
The Roadmap to Reading is an online course that walks you through the entire process of teaching reading: from assessment to goal selection to instruction. This course will teach you how to provide effective literacy instruction to your students with autism.
What This Course Includes:
- 5 Modules with over 30 video lessons
- Each topic is broken into short, actionable videos
- Concepts are explained in a user friendly way
- Ready to use templates, handouts, and behavior tools
- 6 continuing education credits upon completion
Here’s a peek into The Roadmap to Reading:
(4 training videos with 8 downloadable resources)
(4 training videos with 4 downloadable resources)
Planning and Setup
(6 training videos and 30+ downloadable resources)
(10 training videos with 50+ downloadable resources)
Data, Progress, & Staff Training
(5 training videos with 4 downloadable resources)
Access your course from our website or from our new app!
Here’s a Peek into The Roadmap to Reading
Literacy Tool Kits
Learn the evidence-based best practices for teaching reading then utilize these tools to but those strategies into action. There are 4 toolkits available: The Autism Helper Informal Assessment, the Beginning Literacy Instructional Bundle, the Primary Instructional Bundle, and the Elementary Instructional Bundle.
Join the Literacy Course Waitlist!
Enrollment is currently closed.
Sign up below to be added to our waitlist.
Looking for School Licenses?
From Past Course Participants
"I loved the course! It was straight-forward and easy to understand. I really liked how the concepts were broken down into short segments so they weren't too overwhelming. My favorite part is the tools provided. They are so user friendly and they will be super-useful for educating school teams."
"I loved the course. The concepts I learned gave me the confidence to know I am doing the right thing next year. There are specific examples and strategies that I did not get in college courses."
The Autism Helper FAQs
Who is this course for?
This course was created for educators, clinicians, and homeschooling parents who are working on reading skills with their students or children. This course focuses on reading skills between preschool and 6th grade level. If you have students who are older than 6th grade but are reading at a more foundational level, this course will be a good fit. This course will work for general education teachers, special education teachers, self-contained teachers, and resource/inclusion teachers working with learners with autism or special needs. This course will also be valuable for speech-language pathologists, Board Certified Behavior Analysts, Registered Behavior Techs, and administrators looking to improve their skill set in the area of literacy instruction.
Should members purchase this course?
No. If you are a member of the Professional Development Membership, this course is included within your membership. You may purchase the toolkits separately.
What are the course objectives and agenda?
- Participant will define what literacy is and what are common obstacles to reading for individuals on the spectrum.
- Participant will define the goals of reading assessments and list 3 strategies for determining the reading level of each learner using either formal or informal assessments.
- Participant will list the 5 components of reading.
- Participant will identify relevant reading goals for a range of types of learners.
- Participant will define 6 strategies for creating an ideal environment for teaching reading by addressing scheduling, setting up the environment, organization, lesson planning, reinforcement, and visual support tools.
- Participant will create a lesson plan that targets individualized learner goals.
- Participant will define and identify 5 ways to utilize direct instruction to target reading goals.
- Participant will identify 2 ways to collect data on direct instruction reading goals.
- Participant will define and identify 5 ways to utilize fluency instruction to target reading goals.
- Participant will define how to collect data on fluency instruction reading goals.
- Participant will define and identify 5 ways to utilize Guided Reading Groups to target reading goals.
- Participant will identify 3 ways to collect data on Guided Reading Group reading goals.
- Participant will list the steps to create a Google Form for reading goal analysis.
- Participant will list the steps in Behavior Skills Training in relation to training team members on reading instructional techniques.
- Participant will list 3 ways to troubleshoot reading instruction when progress has not been made.
0-10 minutes Introduction
16-49 minutes Module 1: Assessment
49-85 minutes Module 2: The Process
85-162 minutes Module 3: Planning and Setup
162-338 minutes Module 4: Implementation
338-379 minutes Module 5: Data, Progress, Staff Training
When will I have access to this course?
You will receive an invite to join The Autism Helper Network within 15 minutes of signing up. Once you’ve set up your account, you will be able to access the course. If you’ve purchased any additional Toolkits, you will receive an additional email with a link to access it, also within 15 minutes of signing up.
You will have access to this course for 6 months from the date of purchase. If you are part of The Autism Helper Professional Development Membership or choose to join the Membership, you will retain access to the course for as long as you are a member.
If you have not received either email within 15 minutes, please check your spam folder first. If you cannot locate them there, please contact us at email@example.com.
Can I earn continuing education credits for this course?
All course content must be watched/completed in its entirety including the course feedback form within 6 months to receive any continuing education credits. The date on the certificate will match the date you complete all course components. No partial credit will be given.
You can earn 6 continuing education credits upon completion of this course. School districts differ in what they will accept as a continuing education credit. It is up to each course participant to confirm that continuing education credits from The Autism Helper, Inc. will be approved by your school district.
Sasha Long, BCBA is an Authorized Continuing Education (ACE) provider from the Behavior Analyst Certification Board. This course provides Type 2 continuing education credits.
ASHA CE Registry Submission: After you complete all course components, you will be directed to fill out a form regarding ASHA CEUs. Once you fill out the form indicating that you would like your participation reported to ASHA, The Autism Helper will prepare to submit your information to the ASHA CE Registry. The Autism Helper submits this completion information monthly [on the 15th of the month]. Please allow three weeks from the submission date by The Autism Helper for the course and ASHA CEUs to appear on your ASHA transcript.
This course is offered for 0.6 ASHA CEUs.
(Introductory Level, Professional Area)
ASHA CE Provider approval and use of the Brand Block does not imply endorsement of course content, specific products or clinical procedures.
What toolkits should I get?
There are 4 toolkit options available. All include passages that have been professionally leveled by Lexile. We are offering a special deal – when you purchase the assessment you can get buy one get one free on the Instructional Bundles. You can either get the assessment with the Beginning Literacy and Primary Literacy Bundle or the assessment with the Primary and Elementary Literacy Bundle. These resources will never be available on TpT. They will only be sold along with this course. Select the levels based on the reading skills of your students, not their age or grade level.
- TAH Informal Assessment: A running record style assessment to determine each student’s reading level. Detailed instructions for use are included. The assessment includes multiple options for assessing reading comprehension. Assessment spans Lexile levels BR120L – 1000L.
- Beginning Literacy Instructional Bundle: This instructional bundle focuses on reading skills for learners reading at levels BR90L – 50L. There are 20 mini books that each include visual comprehension questions, comprehension rubric with visual options, phonics and grammar extensions, and a word recognition and vocabulary extension. Tracing, circling, and copying skills are required to complete the activities. There are also 12 centers included to focus on literacy skills for this level.
- Primary Instructional Bundle: This instructional bundle focuses on reading skills for learners reading at levels 160L – 690L. There are 30 passages that each include 3 options for comprehension questions (written response, written response choices, or visual choices), comprehension rubric with visual options, a phonics and grammar extension, and a word recognition and vocabulary extension. Writing skills are required to complete the activities. There are also 12 centers included to focus on literacy skills for this level.
- Elementary Instructional Bundle: This instructional bundle focuses on reading skills for learners reading at levels 730L – 1030L. There are 30 passages that each include 3 options for comprehension questions (written response, written response choices, or visual choices), comprehension rubric with visual options, a phonics and grammar extension, and a word recognition and vocabulary extension. Writing skills are required to complete the activities. There are also 12 centers included to focus on literacy skills for this level.
If I have a tech issue, how do I get help?
If you’re experiencing technical issues, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I request accommodations?
The Autism Helper, Inc. is committed to providing equal opportunities in accordance with all applicable laws. If you are in need of a disability-related accommodation, please contact email@example.com. We will review your request and respond in a timely manner. Please note that we will require a minimum of 4 weeks to provide a reasonable accommodation for your request.
How do I cancel? Do you offer refunds?
In the event a purchaser is not satisfied with a course, he or she can request a full refund via email to customerservice@
Please note, that any course on a subscription model rather than a one time purchase, can be canceled at any time. All memberships will renew automatically based on your subscription plan. For monthly subscriptions, a refund will be issued for the current month only, and only if the cancelation request is received within 5 days of the monthly payment. If the cancelation request is received more than 5 days after the monthly payment is processed, the purchaser will retain access for the remainder of that monthly period and the cancelation will be scheduled to process the day before the next scheduled payment. For annual subscriptions, a full refund will be issued if the cancelation request is received within 30 days of the annual payment. Any requests received after 30 days, will receive a prorated refund based on the number of months left in their annual subscription. For each month remaining, the member will be refunded $27.50.
Once you have canceled you will no longer have access to the Membership Dashboard nor any content on The Autism Helper Membership or course.
In the event The Autism Helper is unable to host a course for any reason, all associated costs and fees will be refunded to the purchasers. In the event that The Autism Helper must reschedule the start of a course and the new date is unsatisfactory to the purchaser, a full refund of costs and fees will be issued upon the purchaser’s request to customerservice@
How can I leave you a complaint, feedback or ask questions?
We’d love to hear your feedback and answer your questions! You can send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. We strive to respond to all feedback and question emails within 48 business hours. There is also a mandatory feedback form related to this course at the end of the course.
Financial Disclosures: Sasha Long is the founder and owner of The Autism Helper, Inc. She receives payment from the sales of all products and courses on this site.
Non-Financial Disclosures: There are no relevant non-financial disclosures.